Gluten-free, Dairy-free, Apple Cinnamon Yeast Bread
Used as a a replacement for raising bread at breakfast or for your lunchtime sandwich, this is a lovely bread for those who are gluten-free and dairy-free. The traditional flax meal substitute can be made easily for the eggs (1T flax + 2T warm water = 1 egg).
Recipe type: bread
Serves: 1 loaf
- 1 T yeast
- 1 cup hot water
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup sorghum flour
- ½ cup brown rice flour
- ½ cup cornstarch
- ¼ cup tapioca starch
- ¼ cup white rice flour
- ¼ cup arrowroot flour
- 2 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tsp salt
- ¾ tsp cinnamon
- ⅓ cup vegetable oil
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 100g chopped apples +1/4 tsp cinnamon/maple sugar
- 1 T molasses (optional)
- Preheat oven to 375F and grease one loaf pan.
- Combine yeast and water and set aside until foamy and risen to ½” higher.
- Meanwhile, combine brown sugar, flours, xanthan gum, salt and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In a 1 cup measuring cup, combine oil, eggs and vinegar.
- In a standing mixer with the paddle attachment pour in the oil/egg mixture and the dry mixture and gently stir.
- Add in the yeast mixture and mix well for approximately 4 minutes. It will come out a sticky batter, unlike a regular bread dough. It should pull away from the bowl easily.
- Remove from mixer and gently stir in apple chunks.
- Place the batter into the loaf pan and spread out to the edges. Drizzle the molasses over the dough, turning it into the dough to make a marbled effect.
- Smooth top as well as you can, and place onto the warm oven, covered with a cloth. Let rise 25 mins (it does not rise much until in the oven).
- Place uncovered in the centre of your preheated oven and bake for 25 mins or until knife comes out clean. You may want to slit the top of your bread to help manage the rising. Remove from pan immediately and let cool.
- Slice and eat! Wrap tightly, double bagged. It last three days at room temperature, and then needs to be toasted.